To you lovely followers/subscribers, I am taking a brief hiatus to improve my site. I mentioned about a month ago about changes coming, and I am closer than ever to reveal the finished product. Since it is taking me time to update, it gives me less time to write, so until then, I will be constant with my Instagram and Twitter posts, and way less with writing. I appreciate your patience!
It’s been weeks, maybe months, since you’ve taken a harsh soap to your makeup bristles. You’ve noticed your makeup doesn’t look the same, your brushes don’t have that baby softness they began with and you have bristles clinging all over your face. What do you do? Throw them away and start over? What better way to get what you want then instant gratification, right? Or if it’s not in your budget, how do you maintain them to keep this from happening?
Everyday you add oils, dirt and bacteria to your brushes. As they build up, it creates blemishes, uneven makeup applications and the brushes become warped and harsh. It’s one of our least favorite chores to do so here is the easiest, fastest and most gentle way to clean your makeup brushes so they look good as new! Washing them on a regular basis (about once or twice a week) can keep money in your pockets for almost a decade! 😉 (Think about all the other makeup you can buy with those savings!)
What you need:
- Lukewarm water
- Preferably a sulfate-free shampoo or gentle cleanser such as Japonesque Solid Brush Cleanser or Wen’s Conditioning Cleanser (for hair, but my favorite!)
- Edge of a basin or sink
- Sigma Spa Express Brush Cleaning Glove
- Fill your sink with lukewarm water
- Put on your Sigma Brush Cleaning Glove and grab one brush at a time or if you’re a pro, a small handful
- Get the brush, or brushes, wet and either add a small amount of shampoo or cleanser to the brush or swirl the brush in the solid soap till you get some product on it
- Use the Cleaning Glove to gently “scrub” the brush
- Rinse and repeat, just like your hair 😉
- Rinse thoroughly in clean, running water until all soap or cleanser, is removed
- Place brushes on a towel lying lengthwise and press the end of the towel over the brushes to “ring” out the excess water
- Once the brushes are damp, with your fingers, gently mold them back into shape
- Place them over the sink so they may expand and fluff back up as they dry
- Repeat until all brushes are thoroughly clean
Try saving this weekly or biweekly task for bedtime so your brushes have ample time to airdry. Always remember to be very gentle with your brushes because the more you get rough with them, the faster the hair will fall out. You don’t want that! 😉
As soon as the weather heats up and the clothes become more scarce, I want to start sipping margaritas while sitting on a super sunny beach and listening to some rendition of classic rock music. In reality, I’m landlocked in my suburban neck of the woods. Every year I make travel arrangements to body surf some bubbly waves, but while I wait (in anxious passion!) I envelope my “scentses” in fragrances that epitomize the sea. Here are my top three:
- Atelier Cologne in Cédrat Enivrant – this highly concentrated Cologne Absolue (pure perfume) has a delicious aroma of bright citrus with each spray. The decadence of cedrat, limes and bergamot from around the globe, follow even more exotic aromas of mint, juniper berries and vetiver. These notes transport you to the beaches of the most exotic and luxurious in the world! If you close your eyes, you can almost feel the fresh sea breeze!
- Replica Beach Walk – When I inhale this bouquet of citrus, milk of coconut and hint of pink pepper spice, I can already hear the seagulls calling out to me. It’s bright, soft and has a hint of warmth from the sun. Feel the petal-soft sand caress your toes as you calmly stroll the blissful beach.
- Bobbi Brown’s Beach – Bobbi says it best when she states that her signature scent “captures the essence and atmosphere of summer.” You will feel like you are being pampered in an oceanside cabana full of lush fruits and sparkling libations. No surprise here, the top notes that always draw the nose to memories of the seaside, contain citrus. Mandarin notes tickle the nostrils along with sea spray and jasmine.
Beaches have always been a staple for most, when it comes to summer getaways. The memories one makes are justly stored in our olfactory nerves. And when you ignite your senses with these perfumes, all of your happiness will return. 😉
The sand, the wind, the heat of the sun, the salty surf…all things we love about the beach. But not so much for our beauty products. These factors can take a toll on every ounce of product you apply. You may not be “the kinda girl” that wears makeup to the beach, but if you are, here are some tried and true products that have sustained that all day stay at the beach.
- Kat Von D Precision Brow Pen – no need to reapply this during your beach stay! This natural looking brow pen has been formulated meticulously to not fade and to create a buildable brow from a natural look to a polished arch.
- Fresh Rose Extreme Tinted Lip Treatment – although this lip product is not as long lasting as your stains, this is a must for your beach bag. Highly moisturizing and providing an SPF of 15 (which you always need to reapply a sun protector anyways) Fresh provides beauty to all lips with several colors in this line, to choose from. I chose rose for its buildable pink to nearly red color, which looks beautiful on nearly every skin tone. It’s non-sticky formulation will also prevent that annoying hair from attaching Itself every time the wind blows!
- Makeup Forever Aqua Smokey Extravagant Mascara – one of the leaders in budge-proof makeup, Makeup Forever capitalizes in giving you the ultimate mascara for any beach bum! It’s magnificent wand and bold black color, will transform any lash into a full and long eye-opener. The best part is it’s waterproof formulation is easy to remove when the time comes.
- Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil – I could not rave about this product enough! With several eye-popping colors and a good selection of more natural tones, this ultra-soft pencil will work for anyone! Try rubbing it over the lid for a color that stays put or lining the waterline for a smokey look or a bright pop of shimmer! Believe me when I say, your liner will not stray! 😉
- Lancôme Effacernes Waterproof Protective Undereye Concealer – For those needing a bit of extra coverage under the sun, this crease-resistant, color-correcting concealer provides exceptional waterproof wear for under the eye. However, it’s easy to remove to prevent any tugging at the delicate area.
- Tarte BB Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20 – If you want a natural evened-out glow to your skin, with the benefits of a lacquer, look no further than this silky liquid. Pumped full of hydrating, softening and brightening natural ingredients, this oil-free, sheer coverage BB is great for all skin types. It also contains Amazonian Clay to balance extra sebum production without being drying.
- Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelee – when you think of the ocean, does the word “coconut” come to mind? Well that’s one of the words that pops into my head. 😉 These dewy, natural blush colored creamy gels, provide 14 hours of hydration AND color! And it’s free from all of those nasty parabens and other bad-for-you chemicals. Try her Coconut Watercolor Lip Stains under your Fresh balm, for even more long-wearing color for your lips!
- Supergoop Refreshing Makeup Setting Spray SPF 50 – with the constant reminder to reapply sunscreen every 1-2 hours, it’s a frustrating thought to mess up your makeup to do so. Not anymore! This mint and rosemary scented spray, provides refreshing convenience of reapplication of a whopping 50 sun protection. All while adding extra staying power to your makeup! Every little bit counts! And no need to fret about getting shiny in your T-Zone. It takes care of that too!
Looking pretty at the beach, doesn’t have to be a fruitless venture. These products work for all skin types and most people. Try these out next time you enjoy the water! Bring on the sun!
The smell of roses instantly transfers you into a luxurious daydream. With the help of many well-known skincare lines, now you can experience the decadence everyday. Here are three of my current favorite, brand new rose-infused products.
- Fresh’s Rose Hydrating Face Serum – Rosewater and rose flower oil instantly soothes and nourishes all skin types. This lightweight formulation not only provides essential moisture to the skin for a gorgeous suppleness, it attracts and retains moisture levels in the skin for up to 6 hours. Perfect for glowing skin!
- Peter Thomas Roth’s Rose Stem Cell Bio-Repair Precious Cream – Human stem cells can die off quickly from factors such as UV rays, free radicals and other environmental factors. A plant stem cell, rose in particular, contains collagen building peptides, that help regenerate our cells for ultimate anti-aging help. This precious cream (do not be scared by the name, it works great on all skin) not only provides these potent ingredients, but also gives a healthy dose of moisture and nutrients to the skin. And, of course, with a beautiful and soft aroma.
- Korres Rose Petal Vitamin C Peel – This peel feels like a luxurious at-home spa treatment. The two-step process begins with a gel that gives a little tingle to the skin. It’s then calmed with a velvety cream you coat on top. Both contain natural AHA’s that exfoliate gently. And the stabilized vitamin C, brightens every complexion. In addition, the hyaluronic acid, will make your skin feel baby soft. The glorious smell instantly calms while you relax and wait for the luminous effects.
Good news! All of these products can be used on all skin types! And they are perfect for giving you that radiant summer glow!